A lot can happen in a year.
In a span of 365 days, we can become better people.
We can discover different parts of our souls, and we can nurture them. We can save lives, and we can change lives. We can become happier. Healthier. Stronger. We can continue looking forward, and we can make sure we never look back. We can die, and we can live. We can break some bonds, and we can strengthen others. We can learn. We can defy odds, fall in or out of love, reach a peak in life, hit rock bottom, barely make it out alive, take risks, and we can stop time, even if for a second.
For some, 2015 has been A year. For others, it has been THE year.
For me, it has been a learning experience unlike any other.
In 2015, I learned...
1. How to navigate a bus route to downtown.
2. How to write, edit, and produce a documentary.
3. What Times Square looks, smells, and feels like.
4. How gorgeous Mickey Singh’s eyes are in concert.
5. What sixth street looks likes through the eyes of a curious sober Muslim girl.
6. How to work a Starbucks card.
7. That bugs in Germany will, if irked, make your feet swell to the point of having to use a wheelchair and screaming, “PAPPAAAAA!” every fifteen minutes.
8. That maybe a Rosie the Riveter costume isn’t the most original Halloween look.
9. What getting a paycheck for doing what you love feels like.
10. That the only person you will truly ever need is yourself. Sometimes a Zayn Malik bobblehead can be pretty helpful too though.
11. That sometimes, people don’t enter our lives to stay, rather they enter to teach us all lessons.
12. What good music sounds like.
13. What a college application is.
14. What Hasan Minhaj smells like.
15. To trust no one, however convincing they are.
16. That a nap and espresso shot can fix more things than you think.
17. That your family is truly your biggest and best fan club.
18. That it will never matter if you understand punjabi music or not.
19. That if there is a will, there is always a way.
20. People will always look for something to say.
21. That Sharukh Khan does not age.
22. You don’t owe anybody a justification except God.
23. That if you aren’t afraid of being wrong, life gets SO much easier.
24. That what somebody thinks of you is none of your business.
25. That the woman on top of the mountain didn’t land there.
26. That if you don’t want anyone to find out, don’t do it.
27. Nobody even became poor by giving.
28. Riptide by Vance Joy will never get old. So many memories associated with that song omg.
29. You could live your life...but there’s so much out there to Instagram!!!
30. Everything is okay for the sake of a Snapchat.