I glance at my phone screen.
In less than 24 hours, I will be an adult.
I will be eligible for lots of things: voting, driving, drinking, real doctor appointments with real doctors, being compared to Kylie Jenner at 18, two numbers closer to not remaining a teen, expected not to burp in public, be told to “act your age”, making life altering choices, having my own *~insurance~*.
Being sixteen is so young sounding, and seventeen sounds so transitory, while eighteen just screams “awkward adult.” The thought of remaining in that bubble frightens and excites me. I want it to pop, but I enjoy the thin film of protection it offers. It seems I am bursting with contradictions tonight.
Reader, we have grown together. Being seventeen has taught me many things, and as a tradition, I’d like to share those things with you as long as some of my fondest memories and moments.
- Having the profound opportunity to see the world outside the fifty states, from Europe to Canada and beyond.
- That one girl’s night out with all my classmates where we randomly slept over the principal’s house and belly danced, even though we couldn't.
- I got to see so many hidden gems in my study, from Spiderhouse cafe to that random fitness juice spot next to my community college.
- I mastered public transport including random stops at the wrong bus stop that include too many repeats of Oh Wonder!.
- When my cousins came over in the summer and we did that spontaneous photoshoot and I had my first my first IN-N-OUT burger.
- My first eid in Chicago after ten years or so.
- Winning a national competition.
- My best friend’s sister’s wedding that was SERIOUSLY LIT.
- Getting into college and the sweetest surprise my friends gave me.
- Creating a short film and billion memories with my favorite people like singing punjabi songs at the top of our lungs and eating too much kismet.
- Meeting and loving !*!*!*SHUSHIIIII!*!*!*!*!.
So this is it. I’ve remained a nuisance for 6, 205 days and it has been fantastic. I’m more happy than I am sad, and I’m more grateful above it all. Another rotation around the sun, and god damn it was great.